"Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much" - Helen Keller
Volunteers are the muscle and heart of our organization; we can't exist without them! They are a necessary part of our classes. They also help with stable work and special events throughout the year.
Our volunteers always speak of how rewarding it is to assist our riders and help care for our horses.
You don’t need to be horse savvy to volunteer at ITRP! We provide our volunteers with the necessary training, you simply need the desire to help those with handicaps and special needs. Contact us and let us know how you would like to help.
WHAT CAN I DO AS A VOLUNTEER?
- Stable work – cleaning stalls, set up/take down of arena, cleaning tack/equipment
- Groom/Tack- groom horses and prepare them for their lessons
- Special events - horse show, fundraising, barn dance, etc.
- Side Walkers- are responsible for the safety of riders. You assist your rider with their helmet then take them to the arena to get mounted on their horse. During the class you will be walking by the client as they ride to ensure safety.
- Horse Leaders- are responsible for the safety of the horse and control at all times. You assist in getting the horse ready for the rider and do warm ups/cool downs with the horses. You reinforce signals that the rider gives to the horse.
STEPS TO BECOMING A VOLUNTEER
- The minimum age for program volunteers is 14 years old to work with clients (if you are under the age of 14 please contact us for volunteer opportunities at the barn)
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must have paperwork signed by a parent or guardian prior to attending a volunteer training and participating in a program.
- All volunteers must complete volunteer paperwork for the current year and have read and understood the volunteer handbook.
- All volunteers must go through volunteer training before they can participate in the program.
- Volunteering in Program involves moderate physical activity. Please be comfortable with the physical aspects of the role you select.
- Due to the nature of the services we provide, ITRP reserves the right to make the final determination as to the appropriateness of any and all volunteers for our organization.
ITRP offers unpaid internships in a variety of areas. For more information please contact us at email@example.com or fill out the online contact form here.
Intern Application and Handout
Volunteer Form and Handout